Saturday, April 23, 2011

Doctor Who S6, E1 "The Impossible Astronaut"

I just got into Doctor Who this past February and once I was hooked, it was a race against the clock to watch all five seasons in the new series before the much anticipated premier of season 6.

So today, at one o'clock, I frantically tried to find a link to stream the episode I succeeded at the last minute, but it was a close call and I was about to fall over from anxiety if it hadn't worked!


The episode (written by the amazing Steven Moffat) starts off with the now iconic image of Matt Smith's Doctor in the Stetson ("I wear a Stetson now. Stetsons are cool") I love the fact that the Doctor, Amy, Rory, and River are in America. It's particularly awesome for those Who fans like myself who are from the States and rarely see our heroes interacting with American history or culture.

I don't want to give away anything that happens ("spoilers!") but it only gets better from there. The new plot line was fantastic, and the cliff-hanger at the end has left me doing little else but what will happen next. Can it just be next Saturday already?

We are also introduced to new creatures. These things are considered by many to be even more frightening than the dreaded Weeping Angels. These beings have been named in the TARDIS Index File as The Silence, the mysterious force that created the cracks in time from Series 5. I think they look like more sinister versions of what I call "Roswell Aliens," the typical little green guys with the big heads. These guys are ten times more disturbing however, and the fact that they wear neat black suits reminds me of how Lord Voldemort is portrayed in one scene of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.


Something that I particularly like about this episode is it's one that goes back in time, bringing our heroes into contact with historical figures. In general, the episodes where the Doctor gets to meet famous figures are some of my favorites. What can I say, I'm a history junkie!


UPDATE: In the Doctor Who Confidential episode for The Day of the Moon, Stephen Moffat says that he based the Silence's images on Edvard Munch's "The Scream!" He said he wanted the creatures to be like something that everyone has seen but doesn't necessarily remember. Here it is, popping up in a famous work of art!

2 comments:

  1. THE SILENCE IS CREEPY. (Tumblr are calling the action The Silence and the people The Silencers, which is even creepier, I think.)

    Linking you to my post on it for BBR just for the .gif: http://bookbloggerrebellion.blogspot.com/2011/04/doctor-who.html

    ReplyDelete