Thursday, June 9, 2011

My Ukulele (And My Complete Musical History)

I guess it's time to talk about my new ukulele! I've had it about two weeks now, and I love it. It's a Stagg soprano ukulele, and I think it's made of mahogany with nylon strings. Also pictured is the special felt pick that I guess you're supposed to use for uke. It sounds awful nice!

I got into playing the ukulele spring semester of my freshman year of college. My friend Katherine (If Only He Had a Beard) had bought one to have while her guitar was in the shop and one day she brought it over while visiting me and Nicole (WORD for Teens). I've never been very musically inclined, although, believe me, I've tried to be....

When I was in fourth grade, the school tried to get everyone to pick up an instrument. I chose flute, but that only lasted for a short time due to an incompetent band teacher that tried to teach us how to play using, not a flute, but a pencil. I was unimpressed and did not want to waste my time on an instrument that I wasn't being taught properly. Since then I began singing a lot, much to the chagrin of my family. I've gotten a lot better, but they still don't appreciate it when I attempt opera! I tried to teach myself piano a few times after my family inherited an old upright from our neighbors, but alas, my tiny hands (ring size 4 1/2) were not meant to play any type of keyboard. My lack of ability to read music didn't help either! This past fall, my brother took up guitar in school. During the times I would come home for the weekend or what have you, I would always try to learn something about guitar. I never got very far because yet again, my small hands hindered me. To give you a good idea of what I'm talking about, my hands are so small that my pinky doesn't reach the orange button on Guitar Hero. Regular guitar was difficult for me because of the width of the neck. But when I got my hands on Katherine's ukulele, everything changed. This instrument was actually a manageable size for me! The great thing about ukulele is that it only has four strings. I don't know if that makes it universally easier than guitar, but for me that's the case.

Katherine ended up lending me her ukulele for the whole semester and I really took to it. For me, it's a great way to relax and express myself. It's also nice to have something to work on; a challenge. I'm looking forward to learning more about famous uke players (all I really know about now is Tiny Tim!) I'm hoping to maybe record a video or something of me playing sometime soon as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment